In 1985, the Area E salmon permit holders voted in a 2% enhancement tax to be assessed from their gross salmon deliveries. The funds are collected by the State of Alaska and disbursed to PWSAC for maintaining enhancement programs and operations.
With the enactment of the salmon enhancement tax, the PWSAC Bylaws were amended to provide that every Area E salmon permit holder would be eligible to be a candidate and vote on the Fishermen’s Ballot for the PWSAC Board of Directors. At least sixty (60%) of the directors are fishermen. The PWSAC Board of Directors has 27 fisherman seats: 10 seine seats, 10 drift gillnet seats, 6 dual permit seats and 1 set gillnet seat.
- A dual permit holder is a person who holds both a seine and drift gillnet permit.
- Those who hold both a drift gillnet and set gillnet may only occupy a seat designated for drift gillnetters.
The 2020 Fishermen Director Election will include 3-seine, 3-drift gillnet and 2-dual permit seats for three-year terms. The 3-year terms start on 10/2020 and go through 10/2023.
PWSAC needs interested people to serve on the board who have the time to commit and the desire to help the Board achieve corporate goals.
Incumbent directors whose term is expiring are:
- Robert Beedle, Gillnet seat A
- Shawna Williams, Gillnet seat B
- David Glasen, Gillnet seat C
- Thane Miller, Seine seat A
- Mike Meints, Seine seat B
- Alex Lopez, Seine seat C
- Tyee Lohse, Dual seat A
- EJ Cheshier, Dual seat B
Please complete the Candidate Questionnaire and contact a Board Development Committee Member if you are interested.
Board Development Committee
Eli Johnson – Chairman – 907-429-8089
Robert Beedle – 907-429-7207
Shawna Williams – 907-229-7655