Maintenance Assistant position available at the Cannery Creek Hatchery
Maintenance Assistant position available at the Armin F Koernig Hatchery
Basic Function: The Maintenance Assistant functions as part of the hatchery operations team in the cultivating and rearing of fish. Under general supervision, conducts year-round, 24-hour a day when necessary, preventative maintenance and repair duties for the efficient operation of the overall hatchery facility and equipment.
Primary Responsibilities: The Maintenance Assistant works closely with the Maintenance Manager in the broad areas of preventative and routine maintenance, repair and improvement to the facilities, equipment and systems.
Description of duties and tasks:
- Hatchery Systems: Assists in developing and implementing preventative maintenance schedules; keeping updated spare parts lists; lead person in performing maintenance and repair on generators, hatchery heating and hot water systems, pumps and fuel distribution systems, recycle system, lake pump house and emergency pump system, lighting systems, emergency fire systems, hatchery domestic water and wastewater system; maintaining updated operations manual for fuel system; fabricating new tools and equipment; and other similar duties.
- Equipment Maintenance: Assists in developing and implementing preventative maintenance schedules for all hatchery equipment including, but not limited to, hydroelectric turbine generators, diesel generators, front-end loaders, pickup trucks, gas pumps, outboard motors, welders, cement mixers, steam cleaner, pressure washer, snow removal equipment, power tools and other such tools and equipment.
- Building Maintenance: Assists in developing and implementing architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical system preventative maintenance schedules for all facility buildings.
- Assists in keeping maintenance activities log, preparing monthly reports, special reports and studies contributing solutions to corporate hatchery problems; utilizes and modifies computer software to accomplish data entry and analysis need of these reports.
- Assists the Maintenance Manager in the preparation of the maintenance section budget.
- Recommends procedures, techniques and new equipment to improve work efficiencies or adaptation to new techniques.
- Effectively interacts with public and directs inquiries to appropriate department or persons.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the standard tools and practices of various trades such as mechanical, electrical, painting, carpentry, and plastering.
- Knowledge of electrical and construction tools.
- Knowledge of computer operations and software.
- Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions associated with the mechanical, electrical, and building trades.
- Ability to interpret and work from sketches, blueprints, and layouts.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to keep records and make reports.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to write and speak clearly, concisely, and in a well-organized manner.
- Ability to organize time and prioritize activities; solve problems, and work independently within a team environment with supervision.
Essential Functions: Work performed at any hatchery or remote location as needed. Must be able to move about freely; work outdoors in all weather conditions; ability to lift and carry 50 pounds; ability to climb stairs and ladders; ability to climb aboard and about vessels and small aircraft; work around water – on docks and floats; use telephones and computers unimpaired. Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language. Must be able to hear and see to receive verbal and written instructions.
Must have a current driver’s license.
Post secondary training in an accredited vocational-training school in one of the building, mechanical, or electrical trades; and one year of semi-skilled experience in building and plant maintenance work.
- Four years of semi-skilled experience in building and plant maintenance work will substitute for the post secondary vocational-training requirement.
- Annual leave (4+weeks)
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance (employee pays NO monthly premium)
- Medical deductible reimbursement assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Furnished housing and utilities (at the hatchery site)
- Employee funded 403(b) retirement (100% vested), employer match begins after 1 year of service
- Life insurance policy
- Workwear allowance
Begins at $21/hr DOE
Disclaimer: Duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list, and additional tasks may be assigned from time to time. The scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.