Basic Function: The Chief Maintenance Manager will coordinate and support the functions of PWSAC maintenance operations to meet organizational goals for compliance, health and safety standards, sustainability, and efficiency of facilities operations.
Primary Responsibilities: The incumbent is responsible for overseeing all aspects of maintenance initiatives, oversight of project development and execution, and recommending maintenance department budgets. Works with Senior Management and Hatchery Managers to introduce initiatives for measurable reduction of production downtime due to equipment failure and maintaining department health, safety and environmental compliance. This position receives direction from the Production Manager. Works with Production Manager and Hatchery Managers regarding maintenance projects. Provides direction on organizational objectives and technical instruction to Hatchery Maintenance staff.
Description of essential duties and responsibilities:
The Maintenance Manager shall perform the managerial duties of the Maintenance Department. Repair and maintenance of equipment includes but is not limited to engines, motors, conveyor systems, turbines, recirculating water systems, pumps, heavy machinery, and pneumatic tools through direct and indirect involvement; direct involvement to include skilled repair using equipment such as hand or power tools, or heavy machinery at work locations.
- Provide direction to maintenance department staff for organization-wide objectives and goals, including safety and environmental compliance, capital projects and program processes, maintain excellent communication with Hatchery Managers to provide for teamwork project management
- Collaborate with Hatchery Managers for maintenance staff annual reviews and ongoing feedback
- Develop and implement a comprehensive preventive maintenance program to improve systems and procedures, reduce unscheduled downtime, and predict trends through developing and maintaining a comprehensive inventory of site-
specific facilities components, depreciation schedules and tracking of life cycles and recommending repair/replacement schedules
- Collaborate with management teams to determine work priorities for repairs, maintenance and installation based on site constraints and objectives
- Participate in budget preparation, considering organizational goals and budgetary constraints
- Monitor maintenance department expenditures, works with Hatchery Managers for budget management and notifies supervisor of unexpected costs. Recommends budget modification if necessary.
- Recommend annual and five-year capital expenditure plans in line with organizational goals
- Develop and maintain small tools and equipment inventory system, recommend for replacement as needed to achieve goal of reliability and maintenance improvement. Works with Hatchery Managers to implement inventory program and to hold maintenance staff accountable for condition and organization of tools and repair equipment within their control
- Participate in efficient and reliable troubleshooting and repair instruction and support to resolve damages, failures and poor performance of machinery, tools, and equipment
- Collaborate and debrief with managers and maintenance staff for proactive, preventative procedures to reduce repairs and downtime associated with failures
- Collaborate with Hatchery and other management to identify ad-hoc non-capital projects and determine work priorities for repairs, maintenance, and installation
- Participate in and/or take the lead on obtaining competitive bids from vendors and external service providers. Prepare and recommend RFP language when appropriate. Negotiate and recommend contracts for execution with vendors to perform work at sites and for maintenance supplies. Oversee services performed.
- Use standard computer-based programs to manage maintenance inventory, purchase supplies, requisition and track materials and supplies.
- Lead by example to promote and encourage employees to strongly commit to safety and best operating practices that comply with appropriate laws and regulations
- Collaborate with staff and provide recommendations for recruiting, promoting and dismissal of department staff. Participate in the interview process as needed.
- Work with PWSAC staff to organize training and coaching opportunities to ensure maintenance employees have needed resources for standard operating procedures, including safety, equipment use, work instructions, specialty tools, and preventive maintenance.
- Collaborate with PWSAC staff regarding capital maintenance projects, lead and oversee capital project development, implementation, and completion; send progress reports to staff as appropriate
- Other duties and projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in mechanical aptitude, resourcefulness, and troubleshooting skills a necessity
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to present information via verbal and written communication
- Skilled in project management, especially in remote off-road areas
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of local, State, and Federal regulations in respect to facilities, equipment, and employee safety
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity and professionalism in stressful situations and exercise sound judgement for complex problems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365 suite
- Ability to travel on small aircraft and watercraft and stay in remote areas for extended durations
- Some knowledge of fishery and aquaculture resources and regulations
- Skilled in use of technology as pertains to completing variety of maintenance department functions
- Working knowledge of supply requirements, procurement, and personnel/payroll procedures to provide oversight of field installation and/or crew.
- Working knowledge of budget processes
- Strong ability to work in a team environment, as well as complete tasks independently without direct supervision
- Ability to compile data into aggregate reports and charts
- Ability to maintain favorable relationships with varied public relevant to industry
- Availability to receive and aid on-call, after-hour emergency services either with direct or indirect involvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to communicate professionally with people throughout the organization and external contacts
- Must have the ability to make decisions under pressure focusing on the best interest of staff, fish, and expectations of the Corporation.
Essential Functions: Work performed will include the ability to move about freely; work outdoors in all weather conditions with potential exposure to hostile wildlife; ability to lift, carry, and hold 50 pounds; ability to climb stairs and ladders; work around loading equipment and transportation vans and trailers; ability to climb aboard and about vessels and small aircraft; ability to complete repairs and install equipment in hard to access and tight spaces. Must be able to read, write, speak and understand the English language. Physically and mentally able to travel within the Prince William Sound area. Must be able to hear and see to receive verbal, hand and written instructions. Must have the fine motor ability and hand-eye coordination for small object manipulation. Must be familiar with the use of Microsoft office computer products. Exposure to hazards associated with engine and equipment operation and repair, including but not limited to dirt, dust, fumes, noise, mechanical, chemical, and electrical. Exposure to standard office equipment including copiers.
- Education – Bachelor’s degree in facility management or related engineering field or Five years’ experience in large-scale, facility maintenance-related supervisory role. Fish hatchery facility experience will be an advantage.
- Two years’ remote management experience desirable
- Proven supervisory management skills and abilities
- Familiarity with computer hardware and software necessary, including spreadsheet, project, and word processing software.
- Must have a current driver’s license
Disclaimer: Duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned from time to time. The scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
- Health/Vision/Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 403(b) Retirement Plan
- 5+ weeks Annual Leave
- Relocation Assistance
To apply for this job please visit secure.entertimeonline.com.